Yesterday’s cooking went VERY wrong. Upon my request my Dad collected some elderberries I wanted to use for an elderberry muffin recipe.
They turned out fine.
What I did not know then but now know from painful experience is: they are poisonous if eaten raw. We were retching all night.
The poison is eliminated by cooking. But a colleague told me that baking the berries in muffins for 20 minutes might not be enough to get rid of the poison. I don’t know for sure but decided not to eat the muffins and not give you the recipe.
Foraged foods are for pros only…